Will the saints love and know their spouses in heaven?



This article (Marriage in Heaven? Will We Know and Love Our Spouses in Heaven?) got me thinking about the mysteries of the new heaven and new earth in the future.

Some verses to consider in regards to this topic.

Isaiah 65:17 (GW):
"I will create a new heaven and a new earth.
    Past things will not be remembered.
    They will not come to mind."

Revelation 21:1-7,22-26 (NLT):
"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had disappeared. And the sea was also gone. 2 And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven like a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.

3 I heard a loud shout from the throne, saying, “Look, God’s home is now among his people! He will live with them, and they will be his people. God himself will be with them. 4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.”

5 And the one sitting on the throne said, “Look, I am making everything new!” And then he said to me, “Write this down, for what I tell you is trustworthy and true.” 6 And he also said, “It is finished! I am the Alpha and the Omega—the Beginning and the End. To all who are thirsty I will give freely from the springs of the water of life. 7 All who are victorious will inherit all these blessings, and I will be their God, and they will be my children.

22 I saw no temple in the city, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23 And the city has no need of sun or moon, for the glory of God illuminates the city, and the Lamb is its light. 24 The nations will walk in its light, and the kings of the world will enter the city in all their glory. 25 Its gates will never be closed at the end of day because there is no night there. 26 And all the nations will bring their glory and honor into the city."

I think once we die, perhaps, our memories from earth will be gone. What happens to our brain (our memory hard drive) in the grave? It is destroyed and rots away. In humans who haven't died yet, look at Alzheimer's disease  and other diseases of the brain which affect memory. Perhaps, all these things give us clues that our memories and desires in this world are all passing away (refer to 1 John 2:15-17) and may not be remembered in eternity.

Perhaps, in the new earth and new heaven, the institution of marriage as well as desires which we had in this world (companionship, romance, sexual desires, etc.) will all be removed in order to allow God alone to be the source of everything we need (refer to Psalm 23:1). On this earth, daily, we struggle to allow God to be our our Shepherd and the only thing we need. We struggle so much to not being dependent on things of this world. We tend to idolize so many things in this world, even human relationships. Perhaps, God removes everything which causes us to take our eyes off of Him in eternity in order to remove sin from us, once and for all. Many people can testify of how the sadness/heart breaks caused by the failure of human relationships on earth causes them to reach out to God. I think this life of pain and suffering is training us now itself to see the true source of everlasting joy- God. We learn that the hard way when human relationships are taken away from us while on earth. In eternity, God will live directly among His children and will be their source of everything they need as Revelation 21 teaches. We're learning in this life on earth to ultimately quench all of thirst and hunger (desires and needs) by tapping into God Himself. If we are thirsty on earth, we look for water and other beverages. However, who created water? God. Who has created food? God. Who has created humans to have relationships and interact with? God. We tend to miss and lose focus of the ultimate source of joy of the things we tend to seek and pursue in our lives- which is God. At this point, I'm reminded of the song "Enough" by Jeremy Camp (please refer the lyrics towards the end of this post).

However, there is still a mystery which I still wonder about. It is from the rest of the verses in Isaiah 65 as well as what Revelation 21:24-26 mentions about nations entering new Jerusalem. The Bible teaches us that God will create a new heaven, new earth, as well as a new Jerusalem. Many Christians confine their thinking of eternity as only new Jerusalem. However, I think many have failed to realize that new Jerusalem will be the center of that new earth. Today's earthly Jerusalem is the political (political and military clashes) and spiritual center (home to Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) of today's fallen world- which has so many different countries and people. I think the new earth will also have similar nations and people and have the new Jerusalem as it's center. New Jerusalem will be massive in size. No city exists on earth today which measures in it's size. Perhaps, the new earth will also be bigger than the old earth we live in today. Coming back to my main point which I have wondered about- Isaiah 65 states that in the new earth, babies will not die prematurely and people's children will not be doomed to misfortune (I've pasted the verses below). How can babies be born on the new earth without sexual relations? (asexual reproduction could be a possibility. I’ve always wondered regarding the numerous number of angels in heaven. Did God create them all at once or do they reproduce in a particular manner?) Marriage as we know it today will be abolished in eternity (some people on earth have married people who they have truly loved and wanted to be with forever while many others are in loveless marriages or have been forced against their will to marry someone who they never wanted to be with as in the case of arranged/forced marriages). However, perhaps, God will do (create) a new thing to replace the earthly institution of marriage and continue propagation of the human race on the new earth. There will be nations and godly kings/rulers (under the authority of God) on the new earth (refer to Rev. 21:24).  Thus, the propagation of the human race makes sense in eternity.  Whatever God has planned for us in the future, I think the best thing to do while on earth is to train our hearts and minds to only desire and need Him (make Him your Shepherd and the only thing you want). Humans can die on us or fail us (they can't ever be depended on), but God won't ever fail us in any way.

Isaiah 65:20-25 (NLT):
No longer will babies die when only a few days old.
    No longer will adults die before they have lived a full life.
No longer will people be considered old at one hundred!
    Only the cursed will die that young!
21 In those days people will live in the houses they build
    and eat the fruit of their own vineyards.
22 Unlike the past, invaders will not take their houses
    and confiscate their vineyards.
For my people will live as long as trees,
    and my chosen ones will have time to enjoy their hard-won gains.
23 They will not work in vain,
    and their children will not be doomed to misfortune.
For they are people blessed by the Lord,
    and their children, too, will be blessed.
24 I will answer them before they even call to me.
    While they are still talking about their needs,
    I will go ahead and answer their prayers!
25 The wolf and the lamb will feed together.
    The lion will eat hay like a cow.
    But the snakes will eat dust.
In those days no one will be hurt or destroyed on my holy mountain.
    I, the Lord, have spoken!

Reference to the song "Enough" by Jeremy Camp:

"You are my supply
My breath of life
Still more awesome than I know.
You are my reward
Worth living for
Still more awesome than I know.

And all of you
Is more than enough for all of me
For every thirst and every need
You satisfy me with your love
And all I have in you is more than enough

You're my sacrifice
Of greatest price
Still more awesome than I know.
You're my coming King
You're my everything
Still more awesome than I know.

And all of you
Is more than enough for
All of me
For every thirst and every need
You satisfy me with your love
And all I have in you is more than enough
You are more than enough.

More than all I want
More than all I need
You are more than enough for me.
More than all I know
More than all I can see
You are more than enough for me.
More than all I want
More than all I need
You are more than enough for me.
More than all I know
More than all I can see
You are more than enough.

All of you
Is more than enough for
All of me
For every thirst and every need
You satisfy me with your love
And all I have in you. (Oh Yeah)
And all I have in you. (Jesus)
And all I have in you is more than enough.
More than enough."